March 30, 2008

Bad Music Sunday: Alternative?

Friends,

While driving `round Mankato, I discovered that the town has an alternative rock station called 95.7 The Blaze. Jesus, that's a stupid name isn't it? Now, I don't know how long this station has been around, but I know it wasn't here when I first moved here and resigned myself to classic rock stations and the college station, otherwise I would have listened to that. But, so far it has done a bang up job reminding me of the alternative rock station I listened to all the time in St. Louis, 105.7 The Point. What's also kind of amazing, is that while listening to The Blaze (guh) I haven't heard the same song twice, which is one helluva feat for an alt. rock station because in St. Louis, I couldn't go 25 minutes listening to The Point without hearing a goddamn Foo Fighters song.

In listening to The Blaze, it also reminded me of why I hated The Point. This modern alternative rock (alternative is a label that has died because there's nothing alternative about this mainstream rock music, right?) is so uninspired and dry. And unless you were paying real close attention, you'd never know when they switched songs as they all blend together. But, it got me thinking about some of the one hit wonders/shitty music I've heard on The Point over the years, so below is a little celebration of that. This list is by no means an exhaustive because I didn't put a Spacehog song on here, or Geggy Tah, or Primitive Radio Gods...the list is quite possibly endless.

Marvelous 3 - Freak of the Week


Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag


White Town - Your Woman


Crazy Town - Butterfly
This is a rap-rock ode to the butterfly sexual position. How romantic.


Custom - Hey Mister
This fucking thing, a song from a cad-player-douche type to the father of a girl the cad-player-douche is boning, is just terrible on so many levels. One of them, is that the singer of this song is clearly in his early thirties, and the girl in the video looks like she just got legal the morning of the shoot. Things like this make me wish I won't have daughters because I'd hate to have to murder all these Custom cad-player-douche motherfuckers.


Puddle of Mudd - Blurry
I had to post a live version of this because Universal Music doesn't let you embed the official videos of their artists, the corporate fucks. The song still blows.


Stone Temple Pilots - Days of the Week
I am a Stone Temple Pilots fan. One of my very first rock concerts was seeing this band on their tour to support one of the greatest modern rock albums, Purple. I went to this concert with my Mom, and I still had a great time. I'm such a fan of STP that while I think Purple is magnificent record, my personal favorite is No. 4 (yes, even above Core). This song, however, is complete fucking horseshit. It's worse than anything off that ...Tiny Music from the Vatican Gift Shop record, which is nominally bad as well.


viva el mustache!

ps...tonight's opening day, stateside, for pro-baseball with the Nationals playing in their new stadium. I'm quite excited about this...and curious to see if Elijah Dukes goes coo-coo bananas on live TV and gets into a bat fight with Lastings Milledge.

3 comments:

GMACD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GMACD said...

Hey have you heard about the Rick Roll Phenomena? Apparently, Rick Astley's song "Never gonna give you up" has become popular again and is being used interestingly.
Check out this link
La Times

GMACD said...

Sorry my linking skills are lacking here is tghe url addres
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/webscout/2008/03/rick-astley-kin.html