August 28, 2008

Your AWP Featured Presenters...

Friends,

I got my new Poets & Writer's in the mail, and I don't know if you've checked your Writer's Chronicle (if they came yet) or your own copy of Poets & Writers to see who are the artists of note so far scheduled.

I'll list them here for you, since the AWP Website doesn't seem to be working quite right abotu showing the featured presenters for the 2009 conference:

Art Spiegelman - Keynote Address
Kim Addonizio
Jimmy Santiago Baca
Mary Jo Bang (St. Louisian!)
Frank Bidart
Jennifer Boylan
Lucille Clifton
William Gass
Michael Harper
Alexander Hemon
Andrew Hudgins
Major Jackson
Wally Lamb
Heather McHugh
Valzhyna Mort
Bharti Mukherjee
Paul Muldoon
ZZ Packer
Tomaz Salumum
Luis Urrea
Irvine Welsh

Now, what surprises me is that there is no Stuart Dybek. Isn't he a big time Chicago writer? Where's James McManus or Beth Nugent who teach at the friggin Art Institute of Chicago, and that 's probably like 3 blocks from where the damn conference is.

Any of those names got you buying your tickets to AWP Chicago? Michael Harper does some good stuff, and I've heard him read before. ZZ Packer could be pretty good, too. And you know choosing Art Spiegelman to do the keynote is a pretty inspired and interesting choice. I'm only 2 hours away from Chicago, too, so maybe I could make it down and sort of just "go" to AWP if I can have the time from work and I can find a bed to sleep in.

viva el mustache

5 comments:

thelifemosaic said...

Art Spiegelman: MAUS IS IN THE HOUSE!

I think Michael Harper wrote that great poem, "Dear John, Dear Coltrane" and I'm pretty sure I read something by Kim Addonizio but I can't think of it now. It would be cool to hear ZZ Packer read.

Let's go, bro. We have a hotel room TRADITION to uphold!

Big Perm said...

Yes! Go to AWP! We need Mr. Bwyan there!

Diana said...

I wonder if the reason Dybeck isn't on the list is because he was a featured reader last time it was in Chicago...

Only two hours away? You need to be there.

thelifemosaic said...

I figured out how I know Kim Addonizio. She co-wrote "The Poet's Companion," a great text I used when I taught my poetry unit during 242 last year:
http://www.amazon.com/Poets-Companion-Pleasures-Writing-Poetry/dp/0393316548/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220363092&sr=8-1

Honestly, you and I should road trip out there this year. Think about it.

Anonymous said...

I met Mr. Spiegelman about 14 years ago very nice guy, no attitude at all compared to some famous artists.