February 22, 2009

Bad Music Sunday: Oscar Winners

Friends,

2009, the year I don't get to watch the Oscars. Sucks for me because I really like the Oscars, and don't mind the four hours or whatever. In fact, it should be longer, I don't care. Let'em talk, it's their moment of glory, especially the shorts filmmakers. This is just another of the growing list of inconveniences and down points of this year thus far. Oh, and to top it off, last night I missed a chance to watch some midget wrestling at a bar I could hit a baseball with from my back door. And looking through the paper, seeing a job for a parking enforcement (meter maid) type job and thinking, "Hey, that's not that bad. I could do that. I'm gonna apply." Yeah, anyway...

This list could be quite expansive, let me tell you. But this one focuses on the easier to find videos, so it skews 80s and up. Plus, I don't want to comb all the way through every single year. Maybe next year I'll start in 79 and go back from there.

Enjoy the stink:

Christopher Cross - Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)


Berlin - Take My Breath Away


Lionel Richie - Say You Say Me
I know this song has been on here before, but it was the Kids Incorporated version, not the original, Lionel Richie song.


Stevie Wonder - I Just Called to Say I Love You
From High Fidelity: "Rob, top five musical crimes perpetuated by Stevie Wonder in the '80s and '90s. Go. Sub-question: is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter day sins, is it better to burn out or fade away?"


Irene Cara - Flashdance (What a Feeling)


Annie Lennox - Into the West
I've never been a fan of Annie Lennox, and this song just seems kinda sleepy to me. Though, I think it's pretty nice that real hardcore nerd/geek/gamer types have this song to play at their funerals now. Buried with their model swords and dragon t-shirts...mourners showing up in their cloaks, orc masks filling with tears.


Anthony Callea & Candice Falzon - When You Believe
From the movie: "The Prince of Egypt" (a fine turd itself). Notice the bad kid violinist and bad kid ballet dancers in the background.


Vanessa Williams - Colors of the Wind


Carly Simon - Let the River Run
This video isn't quite right, as the song seems to get cut off at the beginning. But there's plenty here for you to understand why it's here.




And, while not all of these songs are Oscar winners, like the ones above, I think a special little tribute to Phil Collins and the movie Tarzan is appropriate here.

Phil Collins - Strangers Like Me


Phil Collins - You'll Be in My Heart


Phil Collins - Two Worlds


Phil Collins - Son of Man



viva el mustache

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, such drek. I remember hearing that Annie Lennox song the first time I made it though the entire LOTR saga one sad, lonely Sunday, and at the time it was a pretty moving song (I'll blame it on the sleep deprivation), but listening to it here sans the context of rubber orcs and cg-goblins, I shiver at its blandness. And Phil Colins, oh my, even the kids can tell how awful those songs were.