November 7, 2009

One Hour

Friends,

Either I suddenly became an old man, or this some mystic power to waking up at 5 AM everyday. See, for my job I have to get up at 5 AM Monday through Friday. My shift starts at 7:30, but I have to catch an early bus to get there on time and on days where I don't need to take the bus, I still get up at 5 so I don't screw up my morning routine.

While working relay and for a while now, I got up pretty much everyday at 6 AM. Like clockwork, I'd be up a 6 because, well, Emily woke me up. It was no problem. I'd stay up to midnight, or maybe even a little later if I couldn't get to sleep, and I'd be up at 6. Of course, I'd be groggy and barely alive at 6 AM, but I'd still be awake.

However, since I started getting up at 5 AM, I can't seem to stay awake beyond 9:30 PM. Last night, I fell asleep on the couch before 9 PM while reading the new New Yorker. Yeah. That's not the first time that's happened either. This sucks a lot.

I get home from work, most days, at around 5:30. If I eat, let the food settle, then work out for my usual amount, it'll be 7:30 or 8:00...and my body is just powering down for sleepy time.

What the fuck? 5:00 AM is only one hour earlier, but it has completely sapped me from all my ability to stay up at night. I'm a bit more perky in the morning now, but I have so little time to do anything at night anymore.

Is this just getting old, or is 5 AM magic, somehow?

viva el mustache

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Been my wake up time for nearly 15 years now and I hear ya on flagging early. It does get better with time and I can now make it nearly to 10 before I fall down. Just takes practice.