January 3, 2008

New Identity & More

Friends,

Okay (redacted first name) Steven Heller, you got me. Time to get rid of my goofy sign off, and go with my name...which I'm sure makes me much less anonymous. So, yeah, it's time to kiss Stache Guevera goodbye.

Though, it does make me wonder about psuedonyms. I think I need one because of how many other Bryan Johnson's exist out there (I've done the math, using census figures, and there's over 10,000 people named Bryan Johnson [including various spellings of Bryan] in the United States), including this guy whose one movie has a scene of clown rape in it. Oh, how delightful. Also there already was a Bryan Johnson author, though he went by B.S. Johnson and wrote whacked out experimental fiction (here's a link to the biography about him I'd love to read someday). And then there's this Bryan Johnson:


Any suggestions for a psuedonym for me? I think Darren suggested that I just use my initials, so I could be "B.E. Johnson" but that looks too much like Be Johnson, which is a strange command to be dickish or something along those lines...or maybe some kind of zen command.

I should say that when you use my middle initial in your Google searching, I'm the first two hits, but they link to some published material from an undergraduate magazine that I'm not exactly proud of anymore (keep in mind, I never had a poetry class at this time). Including, what I'm sure, is an embarassing bio...though I still have that plastic gorilla...and maintain that John Ruskin is useless (Henry James is probably something I'd dig now) but my aspirations have certainly lessened. Funny how much we change in six years.

Anyway, I don't expect to have a psuedonym anytime soon, so I think that all of you should buy this shirt (but in your size) to wear to my thesis reading, or just whenever I'm around. Here's a picture of it:


Viva Stache Guevera en su hearts and minds!

_______________________________________

I have finished the Danielle Starkey 50 novel challenge, thanks goodness. And I have inched ever closer to my perfect anthology (only 10 stories away!)

Feel like writing a Star Trek novel for Simon & Schuster? They take unsolicited proposals (click here to find out how). However, they have rules for what they will accept. Here they are:

1.) No stories primarily about a guest star or non-Star Trek regular. This means no stories about other crews, ships, or guest characters that become the focus of the story. The novels should always "star" Kirk, Picard, Sisko et al.
2.) No death of an established crewmember or character, or any other permanent change in the Star Trek characters, settings, or universe, such as introducing offspring or close relations of the characters other than those already established.
3.) No explicit sexual descriptions.
4.) No mixing of casts, which means no plots that mix the characters from one series with those of another.
5.) No time travel or alternate universe stories.
6.) Stories should be set during a timeframe that has been thoroughly explored in the TV series or movies. That means no stories set before Star Trek: Enterprise; no stories set between Enterprise and The Original Series, and no stories set beyond Star Trek: Nemesis.
7.) No stories that turn out to have been a dream, a hoax, or a virtual reality sequence.
8.) Do not introduce any levels of technology within familiar civilizations (Federation, Romulan, Klingon etc.) beyond what has been established on screen.

They also have an aversion to third-person objective point of view, preferring a third-person limited perspective, and also some first-person. I have to say, I wonder whose job it is to sift through the slush pile of these proposals. I wonder how many they get in a year...do they have a whole staff devoted to that...or some interns from NYU to dig through. That whole thing seems interesting to me, and I can't put my finger on it...I don't even like Star Trek.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Honestly, some of the rules they have in place are moronic. Most Star Trek novels I've read (yes, I've read my share) have all the rules listed by Bryan in one book. I know for certain that "Imzadi" has the death of Deanna Troi and multiple universes culminating in a trip to the "Guardian of Forever." How do they expect new Star Trek books to be written without such fundamental elements?