March 30, 2008

Phi Kappa President

Friends,

Something dawned on me. I watched tonight's baseball game between the Nationals & Braves and President Bush stopped by the ESPN announcing booth. Why did he do it? Well, I guess he was a Joe Morgan fan when Joe played for the Astros (what, you didn't know that...well, watch any baseball game Joe Morgan calls...it'll come up, trust me). But ole Bush was there, just hanging out, being dopey President Bush, and as I was trying to figure out why would the President of the United States ever agree to appear on national television this way when he has nothing to run for, so he doesn't have to seem like an everyman or whatever (like Obama did for his bowling photo-op). And it struck me...President Bush wants to be the cool president.

He's like the parents who smoke weed with their kids to seem hep or with-it. Or he's the teacher who just wants to be liked by the students so he/she gives only As. He just wants everso badly for a historian, with all sincerity to say, "President G. W. Bush? Coolest president ever. The rest of them, you know, total fucking squares. Like that Woody Wilson prick. League of Nations...please. But GW, now that's a dude's president." I don't see how I didn't figure this out a long, long time ago, but after seeing him on ESPN and then the picture from ABC News that I'm including below, it cinched it for me.



Look at him! He's snuggling with a person in a rabbit suit! Isn't he cool! Isn't he fun! [Sigh.]

viva election year! viva obama!

No comments: