August 17, 2008

Bad Music Sunday: Weep For Modern Rock

Friends,

One of the things about Madison I expected as an awesome radio station. Something that played nothing but interesting independent music, or at least popular indie music. Those kind of popular indie bands play here, so I figured there must be some channel that will play that here. So far, I haven't had any luck locating that cool station.

Found the classic rock station, all of them...because, lord knows, one classic rock station just isn't enough. Sure one plays the Eagles and Jimmy Buffet, while the other will play Nazareth and Focus, but neither of them heard a Fleetwood Mac or Jethro Tull song they wouldn't throw on. Anyway, so far, I am monumentally disappointed in Madison radio...now I have noticed that out here in Fitchburg, all of 10 minutes from the heart of downtown Madison, radio signals get a little wonky...and I suppose it is possible that the factory radio of a Pontiac Grand Am isn't cool enough to reieve neat indie radio signals.

But that got me thinking...the rock of today will be the classic rock for all these teens now. That one day, one of these teens will think wistfully about these modern bands, and say, with all sincerity, "Man, remember Fall Out Boy, now that was music, not like this shit today." And, I don't know, just makes me sad.

Here's this week's dose of Bad Music Sunday is modern rock bands...enjoy, then cry for our musical future:

Seether - Remedy


Puddle of Mudd - Blurry


Theory of a Deadman - Bad Girlfriend


Nickleback - This is How You Remind Me
This one is a little old by modern rock standards, but yeesh...they have smeared their shitty fingers all over bathroom walls of modern rock.


Avenged Sevenfold - Bat Country
I got the feeling that these fucks really, really, really didn't get what Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was about...and then they had to go make this awful, cringe-worthy "song," too.


Apocalyptica - I'm Not Jesus
Remember when you were younger, and you bought a rock record, and somewhere, right around track 8, there'd be a slower song with, holy god, a violin or some other orchestral string instrument on it, and you'd be like, "Fuck, man, I love rocking, but whew, violins make this song so fucking artistic, man." What about this song? This song has all kinds of fucking cellos, so it should be, like, probably the most artistic song fucking ever, right? Nope. Also, I'm glad this guy pointed out he ain't Jesus, because, you know for a while there, I was really thinking about nailing him to a cross.


Saving Abel - Addicted


Saliva - Click Click Boom


Panic at the Disco - I Write Sins Not Tragedies
This one hurts.


viva el mustache

1 comment:

Jason said...

Hee hee! I like five out of those eight songs. And I don't know two of the others. That's pretty funny to me.