May 24, 2009

Bad Music Sunday: 494 to 500

Friends,

Here it is, finally, the 500th Bad Music Sunday video. I counted the football theme songs I posted on the Super Bowl (but not the Seven Nation Army remixes) and I'm sitting at 493, so with the below 7 songs, we're at 500. Oh, it's been a long, awful road with mild bits of contention here and there, but mostly, I'd say it's been a success thus far.

And without further boring preamble...

494. Styx - Mr. Roboto
Oh, don't even. You're thinking, "Hey, wise guy, Domo arigato Mr. Roboto!" And I'm like, yeah, sure, that's 20 seconds of a 334 second long song...and you only like it because of that one car commercial for VWs. Aren't they the same company that had you convinced that Da Da Da was good song, too? And aren't they really just German machines designed to rob you in repair costs? Anyway, this song sucks. Bad.


495. Leonard Cohen - Everybody Knows
I don't get Leonard Cohen. Maybe that's funny coming from a Tom Waits fan, but I just don't like the guy. He has his moments, don't get me wrong, I've heard stuff I've liked in a passing moment, like a snippet of a lyric, but his voice drones like no other, and I don't like that 80's big hair orchestra sound he has going on in a lot of his songs, either. But, in spite of all that, people friggin love this guy. I don't get it, man.


496. Britney Spears - I Love Rock and Roll
No, Britney.


497. Milla Jovovich - Don't Fade Away
Yeah, that chick from Resident Evil and the Fifth Element. At first I was hoping this was going to be a Buddy Holly cover, but that's Not Fade Away, this clearly isn't that song. Oh well.


498. Billy Joel - We Didn't' Start the Fire
Remember that library activity you had to do in junior high about this song? I had to do that, too. Fuck you, Billy Joel. Also, I, too, disliked the cola wars. Long live, Pepsi!


499. White Lion - When the Children Cry
I believe this is called the emotional fallacy, or somesuch.



And, here it is, number 500. How it came this far without this song being on here, I don't know, but, here it ladies and gentlemen, and wouldn't you know it, the asshole won't let you embed the real video, so I'll just link to it here.

Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up


And now, some covers of this song...

Ashley Tisdale


Barry Manilow


Tay Zonday
Yeah, it's that Chocolate Rain fella. This is another one of those through the looking glass pop culture kind of moments, like when Chad Vader did Chocolate Rain.


viva el mustache

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you Rickrolled us in BMS! Well, half-Rickrolled.

thelifemosaic said...

In honor of "We Didn't Start the Fire, here's CollegeHumor's "We Didn't Start the Flame War."
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1907543
(Not Safe For Work)

GMACD said...

Say what you will about Rick Astley but he had a megahit made alot of money and then faded away. Which in my book is a good idea if you want to be a beloved musician. Unlike those stupid rolling stones who are singing "i can't get no satisfaction" in their 60's !