August 9, 2009

Bad Music Sunday: John Hughes Edition

Friends,

I can't write a personal, heartfelt tribute to John Hughes, like what appears here. His teen movies were too old for me to really identify when I was growing up and by the time I hit my teen years, he was onto making Beethoven and Home Alone and such. However, I can't even begin to guess how many times I've seen the edited version of The Breakfast Club as it played on TBS or WGN or KPLR on a Saturday afternoon. Kelly LeBrock in Weird Science started my road to puberty once I was finally able to watch it (I still remember being taken to a babysitter so my parents could go see Weird Science in the theater). And National Lampoon's Vacation was just a blast, as was the Great Outdoors and Uncle Buck. But my connection to him isn't too strong, he wasn't my voice of teenage angst and joy, but the man made some great damn movies.

So, with that in mind, I dedicate this week's BMS to music that appeared in some of his films.

Wang Chung - Fire in the Twilight (from The Breakfast Club)


Karla DeVito - We Are Not Alone (from The Breakfast Club)


The Psychedelic Furs - Pretty in Pink (from Pretty in Pink)


OMD - If You Leave (from Pretty in Pink)


Kajagoogoo - Kajagoogoo (from Sixteen Candles)


Yello - Tied Up (from Dutch)


The Dream Academy - The Edge of Forever (from Ferris Bueller's Day Off)


ETA - I Can Take Anything (from Planes, Trains and Automobiles)


Pop Will Eat Itself - There's No Love Between Us Anymore (from The Great Outdoors)
I don't remember this song in the movie, but IMDB says it's in there and I haven't seen the movie in a long time, so maybe it is.


Kim Wilde - Turn it On (from Weird Science)


Lords of the New Church - Method to My Madness (from Weird Science)


OMD - Tesla Girls (from Weird Science)


Young MC - Got More Rhymes (from Uncle Buck)


viva el mustache

No comments: